Thursday, April 12, 2007

New Muni drivers?

So, Tuesday morning I'm waiting at my normal time for the bus to pick me up, and, whoa! a new bus driver. So, I sit down and let the drive progress normally. We turn up Franklin, to make a right on Golden Gate, except. . .bus driver keeps going. After 3 blocks, she realizes she missed her turn, makes the next right toward Van Ness. I ask to get off at that corner, since my work is close-by anyway. She says, You sure? I'm turning right on Van Ness. I still get off, and start walking down Van Ness. As I'm walking, I see the bus come down Van Ness, and, with the right blinker on, tries to merge left so she can turn left on Golden Gate.

So, yesterday on the bus ride home, another new bus driver. As we are driving down Fell, she says loudly, I'm gonna need some help with directions. She has the directions for the route written out, but doesn't know the streets near the Panhandle and GG Park. The riders simply tell her to move over one lane, and just follow the traffic onto Lincoln. At least she knows what the next stop is; I once had a bus driver that everytime someone asked the bus to stop, he'd stop at the next bus stop, even if it wasn't a stop for that route.

All of this makes me wonder: Does Muni actually do any training for their drivers on new routes? Wouldn't you think that it would be beneficial to have that new driver ride along one or two days to get an understanding of the route, especially an Express route?

Note, I have no comment on the problems related to the Third Street line, mainly because I don't ride it. I will say that not having the N run to the ballpark is kind of annoying. HOWEVER, was at the corner of 9th and Irving the other day and I saw a Muni train claiming to be a Ballpark Shuttle that was running on the N line track from the Sunset to Pac-Bell Park. So, maybe there still is a way to get from the Sunset to the ballpark without having to switch to the J.

No comments: