Tuesday, November 20, 2007

As promised

So, sitting here at work, almost time for lunch, and I overhear a conversation where people are making plans for lunch. They make their plans, and one person says, ok, I'll meet you there after I run to the versateller.

Now, I gather that alot of people don't know what a "versateller" is, but I can say that I know what it is, even though I have not heard someone use that phrase in quite a long time. Mind you, I lived in D.C. for 8 1/2 years before moving back to the Bay Area, so that helps. Anyway, a versateller is what Bank of America first called their ATM before everyone just started calling it an ATM; it was also before Bank of America decided to take over the banking world and changed their colors. Digression: I remember when Bank of America was only in 5 states, and I couldn't make a deposit in my Texas-based account at a Bank of America in Arizona. My how things have changed.

I'm always intrigued by local vernacular or turns of phrases like that. For example, I call it a "Coke" even if I'm not specifically referring to a Coke, much the same way that everything is "Pop" in other parts of the country. By the way, I hate the term "Pop".

No comments: