Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Awakening

The Awakening. That probably doesn't mean much to most people, but just those two words immediately transports me back to D.C. So, it was with a bit of sadness that I found this article- Moving Day for The Awakening. The Awakening has been a fixture at the tip of Hains Point in D.C. for nearly 30 years, and a source of endless amusement whenever I would take family visiting on my tour of D.C.; the kids always loved climbing on the old man and it provided a great view of Reagan National Airport. A friend even came to town only wanting to see The Awakening- turned out the only day available turned out to be the same day as a very miserable downpour that ended up closing that end of Hains Point due to flooding concerns (long-time residents of D.C. will also remember that day as the Bull Run Radiohead fiasco, which I and a group of friends in town all had tickets to and were on the road to the park when we got word it was cancelled). Now it is moving. . .to Maryland.

According to the article, the sculpture was purchased by the person bankrolling the National Harbor, which will be located in Prince George's County, just to the show of the Woodrow Wilson bridge, which is also where it will be re-installed in a bed of white sand. On the web page, there is even a graphical representation of where The Awakening will be located.

I am sorry to see The Awakening go, even if it is only a few miles downriver, nevermind that I can count on one hand the number of times I ventured anywhere near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in my 8 1/2 years of living in D.C. I can only hope that this National Harbor does not sully the wonderful view of the Potomac one has whilst driving down the George Washington Parkway to Mt. Vernon, and provides a suitable venue for The Awakening.

No comments: