Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What a Tuesday

I just wanted to quickly talk about two things that happened today:

1) It took my nearly an hour and half to get home today from work. Actually, from the bank. Left the bank, and went down the Civic Center Muni stop where I waited for 40 minutes to get on any Muni train, except for the J train, which does not help me get home. I waited on the platform first for 8 minutes before any train came. . .this was at 5:20. Now, since I live in the Inner Sunset, I have figured out a way to get home when I know the N is either far apart or I know it will be full- I can take the K, L or M to Forest Hill, then transfer to the 43 or 44. So, today I was fully expecting to go to Forest Hill, except for the next 45 minutes every Muni was full, except for the J. I saw 4 N's go past, full, a various array of K, L and M's go past, all full. One J comes by that was half full. So, tired of waiting, I run upstairs to Market and see a 6-Parnassus coming; I think, sweet, I'll take that to Judah and 9th. Get on and two blocks later the driver says, "Everyone off, this bus is going out of service." So, after some trouble getting the next 6 bus out of the way of a street car, 90% of us get off the bus and get on the new 6. The 6 everyone just got off continues on its way- I don't know if the driver lied to us or got different instructions later on, but I saw it continue on its merry way while the rest of us split up between the new 6 and the next 71. The bus I'm on goes on its route, and at Masonic, instead of turning to continue its route, it crosses the street and stops at the next stop. The driver says, "This bus is turning into a 7-Haight, if you want a 6, you need to get off." Nevermind that right behind this bus is a 7-Haight. An older passenger at the front starts yelling at the driver about how is he supposed to get the UCSF hospital and the driver yells back at him to get on the 6, and the guy yells back and says I was, and it's your responsibility to get me there, and the bus driver says, no, it's not. So, we all shuffle off the bus and cross the street- luckily a 6 comes by soon. This time, no problems.

So, I spent 45 minutes waiting to get on any Muni train (other than a J) with no luck, and then another 45 minutes having to change onto 2 buses, on the same line, that either purportedly go out of service or randomly change into another line. All during rush hour. Great job today S.F. Muni- you made everyone's day.

2) I just had to talk about this one. Was going over the Business section in today's Chronicle and noticed several stories on the front page of the section, such as concerns on biotech, a janitor strike in the south bay, and retirement money worries; so, 3 pretty negative stories on the front page of the business section. However, on page 3 of the Business section was a story called "Index Shows Economy May Dodge A Recession". Why would the Chronicle want to bury potentially good economic news on page 3 of the Business section instead of on page 1? Oh, silly me- that doesn't fit the narrative put out there by the media on the economy. Good news doesn't sell.

No comments: