Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday Morn

Last night, wife and I went over the ballot and made our cheat sheet. Yes, I know, I've failed again as I failed to fully complete my voter guide. . .sorry, but when there's 30+ propositions to go over and summarize, it's a little difficult.

Anyway, so, this morning we head down to our local polling place which is in a Starbucks. There's a line that stretches about halfway down the street- I attribute this to a combination of increased voter turnout and the aforementioned 30+ ballot propositions we have to go through, which takes time. As we approach, it becomes clear to me that that is no pretense of a secret ballot. The polling officials only set up 8 "private" booths, but there are far too many people for those 8 booths, so people just set up shop at the various tables scattered throughout the Starbucks, two people to a table, whether or not they know the person. Wife and I end up doing our ballot on a ledge in front of the holiday ground coffee bags for sale, and she asks me questions about the ballot because she couldn't remember what we agreed on. I motor through the ballot- all 30+ propositions, 4 school board positions, 4 city college positions, president, U.S. Rep, State Assembly, Board of Supervisors, City Judge and BART. As I put my ballot through the scanner, the woman says, "Don't forget, free coffee today at Starbucks!" Great, I hate coffee. As we walk out, there are a few people doing their ballots on tables outside, in front of everyone waiting in line. And no one apparently minds.

About the free coffee. Apparently, giving free stuff to people who voted isn't necessarily legal. Businesses from Starbucks, to Ben and Jerrys, Krispy Kreme and even possibly Chick fil A all were planning on giving free stuff to people who voted. . .unfortunately, giving a reward to only people who voted is illegal. So, instead, anyone who asks for a free cup of coffee, or scoop of ice cream or a doughnut will get it; no need to prove you actually did anything. I find this final line from the WAPO ad amusingly prescient as we presumably move into an Obama administration: "So today's lesson is: Vote or don't vote -- either way you get free food." Wow, an excellent summary of exactly what Obama is promising.

2 comments:

Pave the Whales said...

How is that what Obama is promising? I fail to see the link, even jokingly. I look forward to this election being over so you can focus on the Cubs again.

Venerable Bede said...

Oh please, don't feign ignorance with me. This is the entire basis of Obama's entire tax policy, manifest- don't do anything, but someone will give you something for nothing.