Friday, February 20, 2009

Quick Update

1) State Sen. Abel Maldonado provided the third Republican vote to finally pass the budget, one day after my posting about the budget. As part of the agreement he reached with the Governor and legislative Democrats, there will be a vote on having an open primary system, where the top 2 vote getters face off in the general election, got the elimination of the $.12 increase in the gas tax, which will be offset by an increase in income tax, cutting spending and presumed money coming to the state from the stimulus bill signed earlier this week, amongst other items. Good for him, regardless of whether any of his proposals pass.

2) Wanted to add something that I forgot in my previous post on the union contract. What I forgot to include is that budget did not call for furloughs or layoffs. The only person calling for layoffs was the Governor, who claimed he had authority to force layoffs and furloughs. However, as noted in his Executive Order, where I work is exempted from layoffs and furloughs. In sum, my agency would otherwise not be subject to the Governor's furlough and layoff orders, and the budget did not call for furloughs or layoffs, yet the union negotiated for furloughs, including where I work, which is exempt from Governor-ordered furloughs and layoffs. So, but for this union negotiated contract, I wouldn't have my pay cut by 4.6% (that's the equivalent of having 1 day of pay cut from my salary). How the union expects this contract to be approved by workers is beyond me.

No comments: