Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ipods

Within the last month of so my 2nd Ipod finally gave out. Hadn't had any problems with it for the 2 years I had it, until I decided to nearly fill the memory with songs in preparation for the trip to Europe, only then did I start to get hard drive issues. So, whatever. . .the first Ipod's hard drive went kaput after a night when the cats decided that it was time to knock it off a table and chase it around the floor. Got the second one a few months before moving out here, and a month before Apple released the video Ipod; I was upset, to say the least. So, for the past 2 years, I've been grooving to my 20GB picture Ipod with no problems. Decide to fill up the hard drive, boom, I've got problems. Got fed up with having to re-set everything, and then the Ipod not connecting to my laptop, that it was decided that I should just take the leap and get a new Ipod, my 3rd Ipod in 5 years. -And with that, went to the Apple store yesterday and plunked down the cabbage for a brand new 160GB black Ipod. Took it home, opened it up, connected it to the laptop and. . . . .nothing.

Yep, nothing. After a few tries I finally got a notification that this Ipod only works with Mac OS X 10.4.8 or higher. Guess what I have: 10.3.9. So, call me a lazy bastard or a cheap-skate, but I had no real reason to upgrade the laptop's operating system beyond what's already there. Combine that with a plan to get a new laptop in the next few months leaves me with practically no reason at all to go out and buy Mac OS 10.5. So, I decided to try and find Mac OS 10.4, which is unavailable on through various Apple stores. Next stop was Ebay where I could find some for sale, ranging from $50 to buy it nows of $130. If someone is going to buy 10.4 for $130, just go out and buy 10.5 for the same price. Frankly, I can't really believe that 10.4 isn't just being given away, especially since it's now more than 2 years old.

So, I'm stuck with a brand new Ipod that I can't connect to my computer without an upgraded operating system, and an operating system that I don't need to upgrade because we're getting a brand new one in a few months. So, until I can find a cheap version of 10.4, I guess I'm stuck with an Ipod I can't use for the time being.

Yes, I realize that this is an incredibly whiney post, but so what, I just needed to vent.

1 comment:

Pave the Whales said...

Not whiny at all. Totally justified. That would be infuriating.