Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What to do

Arrived earlier today in Lisbon, had a lovely dinner of barbecued pork tenderloin and Meg had 1/2 a chicken. It rained. And, I must admit, a stop at the Hard Rock Cafe-Lisbon. Had a Portuguese beer (Sagres) which was really good. Saw one of Noel Gallaghers guitars (an Epiphone from the later years). Did I mention the beer was good?

Anyway, time for a catch-up:

Madrid- 2nd day in Madrid started at the Prado, which is one of my most favorite art museums in all the world- it has a large selection of spanish art, including Velazquez, Goya and El Greco. The collection is made up primarily of pre-19th century art. I loved it- Meg did not care for the large collection of Jesus and various Mary pieces around the whole of the museum.

Afterwards, we walked around the area surrounding the Prado and down to the train station where we had lunch. We then hopped in a cab and headed for the Palacio Real, then off to dinner.

Our initial attempt was to get paella, but the restaurant apparently was closed or the door guy didn't cotton to our appearance, so we left and went out wandering for food. . .more tapas. And we found it at Malaspina, just off of the Puerta del Sol. Lots of sausage, calamari (huge rings), spicy patatas bravas, and a jar of sangria. It was packed, loud and smoky. Oh, apparently smoking is an option, some restaurants allow smoking, some don't. I'll let you figure out which ones appeared to be busier (hint: it's not the non-smoking places). We stumbled back the hotel and called it a day. In the rain.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to insert in this space, but I don't. The trip has been going really well, except for the rain that we've encountered in Madrid and now in Lisbon. A Mini is a much better car than the piece of crap we got in Portugal.

That's all I've got in me for today, a long drive and being soaked has tired me out, not to mention a long day of port tasting (mmmm). . .

Tomorrow- The Chairman.

No comments: